Combat Events are, as the name suggests, events that happen during combat. Depending on the situation, they may be benificial and let you gain the upper hand before resuming combat, or they may be moderately detrimental if you do not meet the criteria.
Some combat events are simple independent batches of flavour-text, while others may damage either/both your's and the enemy's ship, lead the combat into various hazards, send unique enemies/boarders at you, or signal the start of ship-specific events, such as a station preparing it's hodgepodge FTL drive, or a rock ship charging at you.
Most/All combat events that provide beneficial or detrimental effects can be avoided or changed depending on various factors.
Ship-Related Combat EventsEdit
Events that affect only your's or the enemy's ship.
Location-Related Combat EventsEdit
Events that affect only the area of combat in which the fight takes place.
Flavour Combat EventsEdit
Events that, all-in-all, have no effect on combat, and are there merely to provide an immersive/interesting experience.
Events that happen in all combat
- Your shots pierce through the enemy craft, spilling trails of molten metal into open space. The enemy is taking heavy damage.
- The constant maneuvering almost throws you out of your seat. Steady now!
- "Enemy structural integrity is failing, Captain. We got this!"
- "Shots continue to connect, Captain. Good effect on target."
- Suddenly electricity arcs out of your console. "Isolate this coupler and reroute my command to another station."
- As your ships exchange fire, your opponent starts to send one insulting hail after another. You decide to ignore this and focus on the combat at hand.
- The dampeners run on full as you maneuver and exchange fire with your enemy. The heat aboard the ship becomes almost unbearable.
- You stand in front of the captain's chair, focused on the windscreen, bellowing orders to your crew. You will not let this opponent get the better of you!
- Just after you bellowed this last order, everything becomes still for a second. You see yourself from the outside, clutched to one of the silver railings that lines the ship bridge, shouting orders, gesticulating at the screen... Then you remember your parents, your childhood, your time at the academy, the line of cause and effect that brought you here; to another fight to the death. What has become of you?
- Hold it steady and stay on target... Just like in the simulations. (2x on manned enemy)
- You will defeat this enemy, just like the ones you defeated before. For the Federation! Your father would be proud.
- You are determined to not let this opponent get the upper hand. "Fire when ready!"
- The ship's hull creaks under the stress of the combat maneuvers. You hope the ship can take it.
- Your fire tears away a huge section of the enemy plating. Good hit!
- Hull plating is scattered into space as your shots impact on the enemy craft. You'll pick those up later.
Events that happen in all combat against manned enemy
- During a fly-by, you catch a glimpse of the enemy captain through his ship's main view-port. For a split second you come face to face with your enemy.
- All of the sudden the opponent turns and boosts into your direction; you barely manage to avoid a collision. This definitely caught you off guard. The maneuver was either very well planned or completely mad.
- While your weapons trace the enemy, the ship briefly passes in front of the systems sun. For a split-second, it appears as a majestically illuminated shadow in front of the giant star. A brief image of beauty during the cruel carnage of ship-to-ship combat.
- "Where did he go?" "I can't track him, there is some interference." "There, eighty degrees to the relative right." "OK, re-engaging." Your crew desperately tries to keep on target.
- Your opponent hails: "Give up, you can't win this!"
- Your opponent hails: "We will crush you!"
- Your opponent hails: "We will not be defeated! Brace yourself!"
- Your opponent hails: "Good hit, Captain. Should I have finally met my equal?"
- Your opponent hails, but the transmission is completely garbled.
- Your opponent hails, but the transmission is interrupted by the hits the enemy sustains. You decide to pay this no mind and focus on keeping a lock on the enemy.
- You remember this maneuver from the academy! Did your opponent at some point receive training from the Federation?
- You never saw the maneuvers your opponent is flying, but they are not without style. The enemy Captain must have been trained in some remote alien flight school.
- The enemy craft seemed to have had some additional passengers aboard. Escape pods are jettisoned from the craft and tumble far away into open space. The enemy starts to abandon ship.
- The combat noticeably strains the ship. Sparks fly from sealing panels and acrid smoke covers the floor. You smell burnt plastic and your own sweat.
- For a moment you are afraid of losing it. What if we don't make it? What if we can't escape or defeat the next enemy? You don't want to die! Then it passes... The crew does not seem to have noticed, or at least isn't showing it. You take a deep breath and re-collect yourself, then you ask for a situation report and try to focus on the battle.
- Your opponent's hull is covered with glowing impact craters of various sizes. They won't be able to take this kind of punishment much longer.
- You are hailed: "Hey, Captain, should we call it a draw? Ha, just kidding! Bring it on!"
Events that happen in all combat against unmanned enemy/auto-ship
- All of the sudden, the small auto ship turns and boosts into your direction; you barely manage to avoid a collision. This definitely caught you off guard.
- While your weapons trace the enemy, the ship briefly passes in front of the system's sun. For a split-second, it appears as a majestically illuminated shadow in front of the giant star, a brief image of beauty during the cruel carnage of ship-to-ship combat.
- The automated craft starts to continuously message you: "DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE"
- The AI craft hails you: "This is an automated message. Resisting our takeover is pointless. Prepare to die." You've heard it all before.
- The AI craft sends its mantra again: "This is an automated message. Resisting our takeover is pointless. Prepare to die."
- The AI craft sends a threatening message. You order to block its channels and focus on the battle.
- The AI craft hails you: "This is an automated message. You have resisted an executive unit of the Rebellion. This violation has been filed and will have consequences regardless of the outcome of this engagement."
- The combat noticeably strains the ship. Sparks fly from wall panels and acrid smoke covers the floor. You smell burned plastic and you own sweat.
- For a moment you are afraid of loosing it. What if we don't make it? What if we can't escape or defeat the next enemy? You don't want to die! Then it passes... The crew does not seem to have noticed, or at last isn't showing it. You take a deep breath and recollect yourself, then you ask for a situation report and try to focus on the battle.
- Your opponent's hull is covered with glowing impact crater of various sizes. It won't be able to take this punishment for much longer.